Saturday, July 21, 2018

Do I need a niche?


              Nicheless and loving it

        Everywhere I turn I hear that I need a niche in regards to blogging. But the problem is I don't have a niche! The thoughts that flow into my mind are not always about the same topic. Today I might want to write about painting and tomorrow I may want to write about something I suddenly learned about motherhood after 8 years of being a mom. I understand that I probably won't grow an audience without having a specific topic and that's ok. I care more about finding therapy in the act of writing, than making sure I'm getting enough reads to hit a goal.

Is it naive of me to think that's enough? Or to not care if it is? I also understand that the most effective way to grow my reader base is to have a niche, but I finally decided that I'm doing this because it's what I love to do. And the minute my focus shifted, it didn't feel real anymore.

I just know at the end of the day I don't want to throw away who I am or my desire to become a writer, just for a ton of readers. It wouldn't be meaningful anymore if I was doing it for the wrong reasons. So for now I'm going to continue to be sporadic and spontaneous in regards to my writing, and those who appreciate that will continue to read and those who don't... won't. And that's okay as long as I'm being true to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tying my Writer's Noose

               Hanging up the old hat         I recently started a Blog about how I navigated a messy custody case without a lawyer. How i...