Monday, June 18, 2018

I've never met a stranger

Since I was a little girl I have always made friends everywhere I've went. I will talk to almost anyone, anywhere, and at any time. Which isn't always the smartest idea because there are some creeps out there. Luckily in my 33 years of being this way it hasn't caused me any harm, some wacky stories and a few stalkers, but so far no harm. (Knock on wood.) Unfortunately I've had some people take my friendliness as flirting, or my willingness to listen as a sign of being interested in them, but for the most part it's just allowed me to meet some pretty interesting people. I spent my 25th birthday at a bar with my then-boyfriend and some friends. When it was nearing last call no one could find me because I was in the corner talking to a homeless man, Arnie, who had staggered in to get warm. He was a kind man and had a smile that could light up a room. In spite of the dirt and lack of recent teeth brushing, it was his soul that radiated passed his physical features. He was funny, but quiet and what stood out to me the most was when he started counting change to buy me a birthday drink. Wow! Talk about selfless! A man who had hardly anything was willing to give the last of what he did have to someone he didn't even know. I've known people who are well-off that won't even buy a friend a drink! The giving nature and pure kindness from this man that most people wouldn't give a second glance Glance towards (unless to snicker at his misfortunes) was offering me literally his last penny. My point is, that in a world full of screens and instant gratification, if we would take the time to smile at each other, say hi, or go out on a limb and strike up a conversation with someone, you would most likely be pleasantly surprised. ( And if not pleasantly then at least surprised and have a good story to tell your next new friend.) I have several similar stories about people I barely knew, and I can honestly say that the majority are surprising, uplifting, and usually funny (in a good way.) There are so many people that have amazing stories to tell if people would just take the time to listen. So the next time you're in line at the UPS Store frustrated, exhausted, and impatient, take a minute to talk to the elderly woman in front of you. You may just make a new friend ( and yes I made a friend this way last December but I'll save that story for another time.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tying my Writer's Noose

               Hanging up the old hat         I recently started a Blog about how I navigated a messy custody case without a lawyer. How i...